There’s a myth that wood is “alive” and needs to breathe. According to the American Hardwood Council, that myth causes a lot of confusion, because wood doesn’t need to be “moisturized” with oily cleaners and polishes. If wood dries and cracks that’s due to changes in humidity, and not a lack of oil.

Custom cabinet care is simple, fast and requires no dangerous chemicals or treatments. Practice these basic care tips, and enjoy the look of your timeless cabinetry for years to come.

  • Wipe up spills, splatters and water spots as they occur – keep the cabinets dry.
  • Clean as needed with a soft, lint free cloth. Use a mild detergent or soap and warm water.
  • Dry surfaces immediately with a soft cloth.
  • Avoid using a dishcloth or sponge – it could contain remnants of grease or detergents.
  • Do not use products with bleach, ammonia or abrasive additives.
  • Never use scouring pads, steel wool or powdered cleaners.
  • Do not allow oven cleaners to come in contact with wood finishes.
  • Avoid placing small kitchen appliances where heat is directed onto cabinet surfaces.
  • Avoid draping damp cloths or dishtowels over cabinet doors – excessive moisture can cause permanent damage.
  • Do not use waxes or polishes.


Dust build up is made of small airborne particles, that may dull or scratch the surface if not removed correctly. Simply wipe the surface with a cloth dampened with warm soapy water (or a cleaning polish or mild detergent) to remove dust.

Anything from fingerprints to cooking fumes to smoking residue will accumulate on any finished surface. While these contaminants will not harm the finish, they should be removed regularly to restore the original luster of the finish. Just wipe the surface with a cloth dampened with a non-wax-containing polish, or mild detergent solution. Avoid using ammonia-based products or silicone oils as they may cause damage to the finish if used over a long period of time.

Finishes are durable and resistant to most household spills. But spills should still be wiped up promptly to avoid potential problems.

Excessive prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, high temperatures, or high humidity can damage both the finish and the wood itself. So all of these should be avoided.

Keep your finished piece looking like new for many years, by following these simple steps. Enjoy the original luster of your furniture!